BEST PLACES TO STAY IN INTERLAKEN
Are you planning to visit one of the most beautiful places in the world and are wondering about where to stay in Interlaken? Yes, the region of Interlaken is one of the most stunning places you can visit! However, choosing the perfect accommodation can be tricky – the area of Interlaken is huge, and the prices are high.
I not only list some of the top hotels in Interlaken but also some tips to help choose the best accommodation in Interlaken for your trip. So, here are my tips for the best places to stay in Interlaken.
TIPS FOR CHOOSING THE PERFECT ACCOMMODATION IN INTERLAKEN
Whether you are on a budget or want to splurge – this post has tips for the best Interlaken accommodation for all budgets (if you can say so for expensive Switzerland). But before jumping to the best hotels, here are some tips you should consider when booking your accommodation.
Location of Interlaken
Interlaken is one of my favorite places in the world! To say it is pretty would be an understatement.
- Interlaken is located in the canton (state) of Bern and the region of Bernese Oberland. Other places in this area include the capital of Switzerland, Bern, the region of Jungfrau, or Kandersteg (including stunning Lake Oeschinen).
- However, when I talk about Interlaken, I do not necessarily mean just the town of Interlaken, but the region of Interlaken and Jungfrau.
- Interlaken itself is not the most beautiful town. HOWEVER, it is a great base for some amazing day trips. It´s very convenient to explore the region if you stay in Interlaken. It is effortless to get around thanks to the two train stations in the town. Also driving in Switzerland and particularly in the area is just so much fun.
- Interlaken is located between two GORGEOUS lakes – Lake Thun and Lake Brienz. Also, you will find famous attractions – like the Swiss Skyline or Harder Kulm as well as places like Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald, or Thun close by.
- There are two train stations (and several bus stops) in Interlaken. Interlaken Ost (East) and Interlaken West station. Interlaken Ost is the bigger station and you might arrive here if you come from other parts of Switzerland. If you are traveling by train, you might want to stay close to one of the train stations.
- Interlaken also has two boat stations. From Interlaken Ost (East) boat tours on Lake Brienz start. If you want to do a boat cruise on Lake Thun, you have to go to Interlaken West station. They are located about 2,5 km from each other.
More Tips for Where to Stay in Interlaken
- I believe that Interlaken should be on any Switzerland itinerary – and if you road trip Switzerland and skip this area…you really miss out.
- If you stay in an official accommodation in Interlaken, you will receive a guest card that gives you a discount on some attractions. Also, you can use buses in Interlaken. The card will not get you far, but if you want to use it for several stops, it can come in handy.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. This means I might earn a small commission when you buy a product/service via my link (at no extra cost to you). More about it here.
After numerous trips in the last few years, I have compiled a list of the best hotels in Interlaken for all budgets below – here I have listed the best things to do in Interlaken here.
Luxury Hotels in Interlaken
Let us start with some of the most luxurious hotels Interlaken has to offer.
Victoria Jungfrau Grand Hotel & Spa
The most luxurious hotel in Interlaken is, without question, Victoria Jungfrau Grand Hotel & Spa.
- LOCATION: It is located right in the heart of Interlaken, amid beautiful mountain views of the Bernese Highland. You have the beautiful park area of Höhematte in front of the hotel. The train stations are close by and much more.
This is the hotel to stay in if you are looking for the most luxurious place that the area has to offer. Victoria Jungfrau Grand Hotel & Spa leaves nothing to be desired, and whether you book a suite (the Tower Suite, with 215 square feet, is the biggest of all the suites and comes with its own terrace and fantastic views) or a superior room, luxury and elegance are guaranteed.
To be honest, the hotel does not look spectacular from the outside, so do not be misled by that. It is also very well known for its amazing spa area (including two pools – one indoor and one outdoor pool) and formidable restaurants. To find the best rates click here.
Though it is only a four-star hotel, Grandhotel Giessbach is one of my all-time favorites and great luxury accommodation in the region of Interlaken.
- LOCATION: Grandhotel Giessbach is located at the foot of the beautiful Giessbach Waterfall on the southern shores of pretty Lake Brienz and not directly in the town of Interlaken.
It is probably one of the most unique ones in all of Switzerland. You can get there by boat; cruising Lake Brienz is probably the best way to get there since they even have their own boat stop. Or you can get there by car or bus.
If you book a room with waterfall views, it might be louder, but it will also probably be the best way to enjoy the surrounding nature. But a room view of Lake Brienz (one of the prettiest lakes in all of Europe) is not a bad idea, either! The service is the only thing that shows that it is not a five-star hotel since no valet concierge service is helping you with your luggage. However, do not think less of this gorgeous property.
The main downside is that it is only open in the summer months and closes for about half a year. Click here to get the best rates at Grandhotel Giessbach.
Mid-Range Hotels in Interlaken
Are you looking for more budget-friendly places to stay in Interlaken? Here are some more affordable hotels.
If you are looking for a 4-star hotel in Interlaken, then head to Hotel Interlaken.
- LOCATION: Hotel Interlaken is centrally located in the heart of Interlaken. It is just a stone´s throw from Höhematte Park, or the main shopping street. It is also perfect if you want to use public transportation (it is just a few minute’s walk to the Interlaken Ost station)
It has its own garden area which makes it also a great place to relax. While it is quite simple – in all honesty – for a hotel in this category, it is unique, as it has been hosting guests for more than 500 years! You can even get a cheaper room if you book one on the 5th floor, as this floor is hostel-style /still no bargain, though).
Free parking is included – and the restaurant downstairs is a good choice for dining. Click here to get the best rates for Hotel Interlaken.
Hotel Solbad Sigriswil
This four-star property, Hotel Solbad, is not directly in Interlaken but outside – so perfect if you look for something quieter.
- LOCATION: Hotel Solbad is located in Swigriswil, high above Lake Thun, in a beautiful area in the region of Interlaken.
Close to the Sirgriswill suspension bridge (which offers great views of Lake Thun), you will find the weirdest but cutest place in Sigriswil, named Grabenmühle. So, there are a few attractions in close proximity and even Interlaken is easily accessible by bus or carl
Whether you book a room with a single bed, a double room, or a suite, you always have access to the saltwater pool, whirlpool, and other facilities, like the fitness room. Click here to get the best rates for Solbad Hotel.
Looking for a perfect 5-day itinerary for Switzerland? I have it written down for you here.
Hotel Schönbrühl in Hilterfingen
This lovely three-star hotel, Hotel Schönbrühl, comes with a view of the Bernese Alps and Lake Thun.
- LOCATION: Hotel Schönbrühl is located on the shores of Lake Thun – near beautiful attractions like Oberhofen Castle, and Hunegg Castle, but also the town of Thun is just a few kilometers away.
It takes about 15 minutes to get to Interlaken (by car) and is a good choice for an Interlaken vacation. The family-run hotel welcomes its guests in a friendly manner, and the highlight is the garden area that comes with a view. Kids will love this area, but so will everyone else who does not need a fancy room and prefers nice, quiet surroundings! Click here to find out about the prices for Hotel Schönbrühl.
Hotel du Nord in Interlaken
Hotel du Nord is another fantastic option if you want to stay in the heart of Interlaken.
- LOCATION: It is located in the town of Interlaken – with Höhematte Park just in front of the hotel. You can reach Interlaken Ost and Interlaken West train stations within minutes!
The reviews were not great, so I did not expect much when I stayed there. BUT, those reviews are mostly quite old – since all rooms were renovated lately, it is a great place to stay in Interlaken. The location is superb, the staff is friendly, and it is quite modern – plus, the breakfast was also better compared to Hotel Interlaken. Click here to get the best deals.
Budget Hotels in Interlaken
Okay, here is the bad news: It does not matter where you stay in Switzerland, it will never be a bargain, and Interlaken is one of Switzerland’s most expensive places. So, even budget accommodations are quite pricey. However, you can find some good deals – especially if you stay in a hostel in Interlaken. So, I tried to list the best places to stay in Interlaken on a budget.
Interlaken Youth Hostel
For backpackers, the Interlaken Youth Hostel might be ideal.
- LOCATION: It is located right next to the Interlaken Ost Station and between Lake Thun and Lake Brienz.
Though the room prices are not necessarily backpacker-friendly (well, not nothing new about Switzerland), it is one of the most popular backpacker destinations in the region and great to meet other tourists and travelers from around the world.
You can rent bikes, play billiards, or join a game of ping pong – so, a fun place to end your day. If you like more privacy, book a single room with a private bathroom or a family room. Book a dorm if you prefer to socialize and want to save more money.
Balmers Hostel is a popular party hotel in Interlaken.
- It is located in Interlaken but a bit further from the heart of the town and about 1,5 km from the Interlaken Ost station.
Here you have budget accommodation and can choose from dorms, and tents, and you can even camp here. If you are a party person and enjoy a fun and louder place to stay – then the Balmers Party Hotel is probably the best budget hotel for you. In the summer months, the hostel hosts parties – probably a good pick for wild young visitors.
Backpackers Villa Sonnenhof
One of the best hostels I have stayed at is the Backpackers Villa Sonnenhof in Interlaken.
- LOCATION: Backpackers Villa Sonnenhof is located in the heart of Interlaken. In front of the hotel, you will find Höhematte park and the Harder Kulm funicular station is within walking distance as are the Interlaken Ost and Interlaken West train and boat stations.
It is not the cheapest hostel but definitely worth the money. I stayed four nights and loved getting around easily. The rooms are modern and clean and the room views were quite beautiful. They even offered free parking (the main reason to book this hostel, to be honest), and breakfast is always included (a very simple yet decent breakfast).
I only missed bed curtains in front of the bunk beds to have more privacy, but towels will do as well, so it is my top tip for a budget tip in Interlaken. Check out prices here.
FINAL THOUGHTS ON WHERE TO STAY IN INTERLAKEN
There are many more places to stay in Interlaken, but you have some good options for all budgets with the recommendations listed above.
If you visit in the summer, hotels might be quickly booked, so booking in advance might be the best option for the busy months. Hopefully, you have found out where to stay in Interlaken, and you will have an incredible experience.