PANORAMA BRIDGE SIGRISWIL AND MORE TIPS FOR YOUR SIGRISWIL TRIP
- 1 PANORAMA BRIDGE SIGRISWIL AND MORE TIPS FOR YOUR SIGRISWIL TRIP
- 2 BEST THINGS TO DO IN SIGRISWIL
The panorama bridge Sirgriswill – or Sigriswil in general – is not the first place to come to people´s minds when thinking about Switzerland. It might not be as famous as Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen, but it is a beautiful place, and there a few a couple of attractions that make a trip to Sigriswil fun.
I think my obsession with the region of Interlaken has become pretty clear, and I have enjoyed all my activities there (read about my other activities in Switzerland). So it does not surprise that I am also very fond of the panorama bridge in Sigriswil. But good news: there is more to see in Sigriswil, and today, I am sharing my tips for your Sigriswil trip.
- Sigriswil is a municipality in the canton of Bern in Switzerland and is located on Lake Thun’s shores.
– one of the stunning lakes in the Bernese Oberland.
- It sits at about 810 meters above sea level and is between the towns of Interlaken and Thun, and you can easily reach Sigriswil via car or public transportation.
- Popular attractions like St. Beatus Caves or Castle Oberhofen are close by. So, you can easily combine it with a trip to one of the other places.
With less than 5000 inhabitants, Sigriswil is not a busy hotspot but rather quite tranquil.
German is the main language (Switzerland has 4 official languages), but you should be fine if you speak English.
HOW TO GET TO SIGRISWIL
- I got to Sigriswill by car (Interlaken – Sigriswil) several times.
- You should be fine driving in the mountains. There are not extremely narrow streets, nor is it an extreme drive. But after all, due to its elevated location, the roads are windy, and it is not for everyone.
- Driving up there was already a beautiful experience because I had the lake’s views and passed many small villages with lovely houses and stunning sceneries.
- If you have some spare time, allow yourself to take more breaks and enjoy the fantastic views.
- There are also buses going up.
- From Thun, you can get the bus line nr. 22 and will need about 20 minutes to get there.
- From the bus stop, it is just a stone´s throw to the suspension bridge.
- Hiking is another option.
- The bridge is one of three suspension bridges on the Lake Thun Panoramic Circular Trail, a 56 km long circular hike connecting various mountain and shoreline paths around the lake.
BEST TIME TO VISIT SIGRISWIL
Sigriswil is excellent to visit all year round. However, I suggest visiting in the warm months (I know we can never rely on seasons here in Switzerland – except for winter). So, come here in May, June or September. Early October should be fine, too.
But since Sigriswil is not as crowded and busy as Interlaken, you could also come here in July or August.
If you visit in winter, please double-check if the bridge is open.
WHERE TO EAT IN SIGRISWIL
After taking tons of pictures, I also had the chance to eat at the 4* Hotel zum Bären. The hotel has a nice patio where I enjoyed my lunch. It is located just 2 minutes from the panorama bridge and close to the bus station and I assume in the “village center” and great if you want to have a good meal or just a coffee.Then, for a dessert or snack, I headed to Grabenmühle and sat in the cafe there (more on that later).
WHERE TO STAY
Hotel zum Bären would be a great place to stay, but here are more tips for your accommodation in Interlaken.
PIN ME FOR LATER – SIGRISWIL SWITZERLAND
BEST THINGS TO DO IN SIGRISWIL
Though the suspension bridge is the most famous attraction, there are many more things to do.
SIGRISWIL SUSPENSION BRIGDE
The Sigriswil panorama bridge, over the Gummischlucht gorge, probably the most famous attraction in the village.
- The bridge connects two villages – Aeschlen and Sigriswil.
- It offers stunning views of Lake Thun and the famous mountains of Eiger, Mönch, and Jungfrau (Swiss Panorama).
- With a length of 340 meters (and 180 meters above the ground), the footbridge allows beautiful panorama views.
- As the bridge is also used by locals (and school kids), you might encounter some kids there before or after school.
I was lucky that I had the bridge almost to myself and a really cool ranger there took a lot of pictures.The views are very nice, and it is so peaceful up there. The area around the bridge is charming, and in case you do not hike, I would recommend spending some time exploring the peaceful region.
I wish I had not been in a rush so that I would have walked around and stayed at the other side of the bridge as well.
- COSTS: To cross the bridge, you have to pay around 8€ (you also get a voucher for a drink at Hotel zum Bären which is close by), tickets can be brought there.
- These days you can also pay via credit card.
Grabenmühle is another hidden place in Switzerland. And it is the weirdest yet cutest place I have visited.I am not sure what Grabenmühle is, but it is close to the Sigriswil Suspension bridge, and that is why I highly recommend walking/driving there and seeing what this place is about. Whether you are with kids or without – you will surely be surprised what you will find there. Flower posts and unique designs and playgrounds, options to search (and find) gold (well, kind of), and many more weirdish things are at Grabenmühle.
There is an entrance fee, but you can combine it with a ticket for the suspension bridge or buy a snack at Grabenmühle, and then there will be no entrance fee.
- What else to do around Lake Thun? Here are my tips.
- Click here if you are looking for more great things to do in Interlaken
- Add this gorgeous place to your Switzerland road trip
More about travel tips for Switzerland here.