WHERE TO STAY IN LUCERNE – BEST HOTELS FOR ALL BUDGETS
- 1 WHERE TO STAY IN LUCERNE – BEST HOTELS FOR ALL BUDGETS
- 2 TIPS FOR PICKING THE BEST ACCOMMODATION IN LUCERNE
- 3 Luxury Hotels in Lucerne
- 4 Mid-Range Hotels in Lucerne
- 5 Best Budget Hotels in Lucerne
Are you planning your Lucerne trip and are wondering about the best places to stay in Lucerne?
Finding the best hotels in Lucerne can be a bit tricky – though it is s small city, there are many options. Today I am sharing my tips on the best areas and hotels for all accommodations for all budgets. I have visited Lucerne several times and stayed in all kinds of accommodation – from luxury hotels to budget-friendly places.
Lucerne is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Switzerland – and that is for a reason. The city itself is beautiful, and the scenery is some of the most stunning in the entire country, so it should be on any Switzerland itinerary.
TIPS FOR PICKING THE BEST ACCOMMODATION IN LUCERNE
- This area is extremely popular among tourists, so do not be surprised if you see visitors in large numbers, regardless of the year. It often feels like Lucerne only has tourists from around the world, which probably makes accommodations even more expensive.
- Since accommodations in Switzerland, especially in Lucerne, are costly, you cannot expect super bargains. The budget-friendly places in Lucerne are only “quite” budget-friendly.
- The wooden bridge (Chapel Bridge) is probably one of the most popular and famous tourist spots in Lucerne, but it also has a lovely old town, and the stunning Lake Lucerne. Accommodation near these places is much more expensive.
- In the summer months and in December, accommodation prices go up. If you can travel in the shoulder-season, you can save a lot of money.
- If you book your stay, you should know about the beautiful mountains, Mount Rigi and Mount Pilatus, which are also fantastic areas to stay in Lucerne.
- If you book a night in one of the official accommodations, you will get a Lucerne Visitor Card. This Visitor Card allows you to use buses and trains within zone 10 of the city network for free. Plus, there is a range of discounts for cableways, mountain railways, museums, and excursions in the Lucerne-Lake Lucerne Region.
- A Swiss Travel Pass is a pass that is expensive but you can use public transportation for free. In Lucerne, you can also use the Mount Rigi cable car for free with a Swiss Travel Pass. Also, you can use most boats for free to cruise Lake Lucerne.
So, whether you road trip Switzerland or stay in Lucerne only – I hope you will find the best places to stay in Luzern with the tips.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, meaning I might earn a small commission when you buy a product/service via my link (at no extra cost to you). More about it here.
BEST HOTELS IN LUCERNE FOR ALL BUDGETS
From luxury hotels to hostels – here are some great places to stay in Lucerne.
Luxury Hotels in Lucerne
Let´s start with the best luxury hotels in Lucerne.
This interesting, 5-star hotel is the perfect choice for all who enjoy a luxury hotel that is centrally located. While Schweizerhof Lucerne is one of the classiest hotels in Lucerne, the atmosphere is not stiff.
This is probably because it is also a festival hotel and they host smaller concerts and events.
You´ll notice many small artistic details – from a music quote on the wall to little music notes on the doors to the fact that every room has hosted one famous musician or another. More little details, like their own newspaper, make this place even more unique.
There is also a lovely restaurant that comes with a view (though directly located on the main street).
Within minutes you are at the Chapel Bridge, the train station in the old town, and the boat station, which are some of the most popular places in Lucerne.
Whether you book a double room or a suite, you cannot go wrong with booking a room at Schweizerhof Lucerne.
The first time I stayed in Lucerne overnight was at Schweizerhof Luzern. I am not sure, but maybe that is why I have so many fond memories of the city.
- If you have the chance to book a room with a lake view, pay the extra CHF and enjoy excellent views of this stunning lake. Click here to find the best rates for your stay.
Vitznau, located on the eastern shores of Lake Lucerne, is home to a luxury hotel par excellence: Parkhotel Vitznau. You can get to Vitznau easily by boat or by car. It takes about 35 minutes, and the drive is fun, and getting there via boat is scenic. By public transportation, it takes about 1 hour.
The region of Vitznau is well-known for being all about relaxing – and this hotel is probably the most expensive one in the area.
The hotel looks quite impressive when approaching via boat. When you are standing in front of it, it seems a bit sterile at the entrance, but this place knows how to impress.
It does not matter which of the 47 suites you book – you can expect pure luxury. All are designed uniquely. You always have non-alcoholic drinks available at the pool, unlimited spa access, daily newspapers, and more services offered.
- Unfortunately, no pets are allowed – not even in the outdoor cafe. However, it is a top hotel to stay near Lucerne and perfect if you like exclusivity and seclusion. Click here to find the best rates for Park Hotel Vitznau.
Mid-Range Hotels in Lucerne
Here are the best mid-range hotels in Lucerne. Prices might be a bit shocking if you have never been to Switzerland before, but the hotel prices are actually reasonable for Lucerne.
You can spot this beautiful hotel from Lucerne´s most famous tourist attraction. Standing on the Chapel Bridge, the hotel, Chateau Gütsch, is visible and can be seen standing proudly on the mountains. It has become an iconic place to stay in Lucerne.
This 4-star hotel offers one of the best views of Lake Lucerne. Whether you enjoy the views from one of the rooms or from the terrace, where you can also dine and drink; on a clear day, these views are priceless.
Each room has a unique design (hurry up with booking, this boutique hotel only has 27 rooms) and most come with a lake view. All suites come with a luxurious marble bathroom.
- You´ll have a wonderful, relaxing time with views and services like this. Find out about the best rate at Chateau Gütsch here.
Ameron Hotel Flora
Another 4-star hotel with a great location is this property: Ameron Hotel Flora. It is centrally located, just a stone’s throw from the main train station and Chapel Bridge. Its wonderful location makes it easy to get around and discover a lot of Lucerne on foot.
The hotel also emphasizes its commitment to sustainability. So if you want to stay in a central location in Lucerne and help support different causes – like the Swiss Red Cross or by using light bulbs that help save energy – this hotel is the perfect green hotel.
The hotel does not have its own fitness facility but offers a discount for the wellness and fitness facilities close by.
- You have the option to choose from five different room types – all rooms have been newly refurbished. Click here to find the best rates for your stay in Lucerne.
Hotel des Alps
If you are looking for a hotel directly in the city center of Lucerne, this hotel might be a great choice. In January 2019, I stayed at the Hotel des Alpes – just next to the Chapel Bridge.
The location is perfect, and if you choose a view of the river, you have a beautiful view of the Reuss River, stunning Mount Pilatus, and the Alps. The city views offer views of the old town.
However, it is not only about the views.
The hotel is a good 3-star hotel: modern, clean, and with a decent breakfast. The restaurant downstairs offers breakfast (with a view), and from there, you are ready to explore the city within minutes.
- So, personally, I think there is no better 3-star hotel with a better location in Lucerne than this hotel. Click here to find the best rates for your stay at Hotel des Alpes.
Have not found the perfect hotel in Lucerne for your stay yet? Okay, here are some more tips for the best Lucerne accommodations.
Best Budget Hotels in Lucerne
Here are some budget hotels in Lucerne. I know budget hotels in Lucerne are not exactly budget-friendly compared to the rest of the world. But they are considered budget-friendly for Lucerne, and they offer the best value for the money.
The Bed + Breakfast -Neustadt
This bed-and-breakfast offers single and double rooms (with an occupancy of 4 people maximum). Some rooms have a shared bathroom, and some have a private one.
The rooms at The Bed + Breakfast, are very basic, but the pricier ones actually have their own balcony and TV, and some have their own kitchen.
- It is also located in central Lucerne, making it easy to get around on foot or by public transportation. Click here to find the best rates for your stay at B&B.
This hostel, Bellpark Hostel, is located close to Kriens, not too far from Lucerne’s old town, and perfect if you plan a trip to the fabulous Mount Pilatus cable car station. You´ll find some restaurants and cafes nearby, and you can catch a bus directly to the train station.
Though the prices are much lower than those in hotel rooms, you still get the ticket to use public transportation for free. As mentioned, rates are comparably low.
You have to pay around 30€ for a bed in a mixed 6-bed dormitory. Slightly more expensive is a bed in a 4-bed dormitory (females or males) or a 3-person dormitory/family room.
If you prefer an ensuite bathroom, you can book a 2-person double room, too.
- Some perks: You can use the kitchen, and there is free coffee and tea, an Asian-style breakfast, free parking, personal lockers in each shared room, and all linens are included. Click here to find the best rates for your stay at Bellpark.
Finding the best places to stay in Lucerne might not always be easy, but I hope this post has helped you find the perfect accommodation for you.
Have fun and stay safe!