Best Places to Stay in Zurich – Accommodations for all Budgets
- 1 Best Places to Stay in Zurich – Accommodations for all Budgets
- 2 TIPS FOR PICKING THE BEST ACCOMMODATION IN ZURICH
- 3 Luxury Hotels in Zurich
- 4 Mid-Range Hotels in Zurich
- 5 Budget Hotels in Zurich
Are you planning a trip to this beautiful city and are wondering about “where to stay in Zurich?“ If so, you are about to find out which accommodation is the perfect one for your trip to Zurich.
While Zurich is one of the top places to visit in Switzerland, Zurich is one of the most expensive cities – the Bahnhofstrasse, the main shopping street, is supposedly the most expensive street in the world!
So, it is no surprise that accommodations in Zurich are not the cheapest. Nevertheless, Zurich is a beautiful city and, if you ask me, one of the places that should be on every Switzerland/Europe bucket list.
- Whether you stroll along beautiful Lake Zurich,
- explore the old town of Zurich,
- head to Uetliberg, the “house mountain” overlooking Zurich
- or visit one of the numerous museums,
- there is tons to do in Zurich!
And while public transportation in Zurich is almost perfect, the choice of your accommodation is still important and can make your stay a hit or a miss.
So, if you have added Zurich to your Switzerland itinerary and are now looking for a place to stay, this accommodation guide can help you find the best hotel for your stay in Zurich.
TIPS FOR PICKING THE BEST ACCOMMODATION IN ZURICH
- Zurich is popular among tourists, and it is also the financial hub in Switzerland and many people travel there for business reasons, too. So it gets busy.
- Zurich has some of the best hotels in Switzerland. There is a high density of luxurious hotels and not many budget ones. Please keep in mind that a budget hotel in Zurich is not comparable to a budget hotel in other parts of the world.
- Since accommodations in Switzerland, especially in Zurich, are costly, you cannot expect super bargains. The budget-friendly places in Zurich are only “quite” budget-friendly.
- The old town and around Lake Zurich are the best areas, but accommodation near these places is much more expensive.
- In the summer months and in December, accommodation prices go up. If you can travel in the shoulder season, you can save a lot of money.
- In Switzerland, you will often get a visitor card if you stay in an official accommodation. In Zurich, this is not the case!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. This means I might earn a small commission when you buy a product/service (at no extra cost to you). More about it here.
Luxury Hotels in Zurich
As mentioned a bit earlier, Zurich has some amazing hotels which are pure luxury. These are only a few, and most of them are located in the city center.
Since public transportation is great in Zurich, you could book a hotel not located directly in the city center, but most of these hotels have great views of Lake Zurich, making a stay there a lot better and more special. So, here are the best luxury hotels in Zurich.
Baur au Lac
One of the most prestigious addresses for a luxury stay is the Hotel Baur au Lac in Zurich.
The location could not be more central.
It is located next to the Bürkliplatz – the main boat station – and between the Bahnhofstrasse (main shopping street) and Lake Zurich.
This place is best for those who like to spend their time shopping and chilling at the lake.
- If you like to have more exclusivity, you can spend your days at the private garden overlooking Lake Zurich and the mountains or chill in one of the 119 luxurious suites and rooms.
- While the hotel has been welcoming guests for more than 170 years, you have all the modern facilities you could ask for.
- Even the fitness center comes with Lake Zurich’s view. If I needed another reason, then this convinces me to hit the gym area. As you probably know, I am not the biggest sports fan but with a Lake Zurich view…I might go to the gym.
- Personally, as a die-hard fan of Zurich and Lake Zurich in particular, I could not ask for a better location: The picture with the view speaks for itself!
- Click here to find the best rates for a stay at Baur au Lac
The Dolder Grand
The Dolder Grand is not directly located in Zurich’s city center. It is less than 4 km from the Bahnhofstrasse, and the city center is easily accessible by public transportation– the tram takes about 30 minutes. You could also use the free shuttle service to the center!
One of the world’s leading hotels offers amazing views of Zurich, a spa area, and several dining options that will spoil any guest.
- There is no shortage of luxury, from a single room to double rooms and suites with their own butler service.
- If you want to indulge in great food, you can choose one of the restaurants to dine in. One of the restaurants has even 2 MICHELIN stars.
- Those who appreciate some spa time: choose between the spa area, the fitness room (for guests, fitness courses like yoga are complimentary), or the beauty salon. Or plan in enough time to do all.
- The only downside is probably that you do not want to leave this beautiful hotel.
- P.s. Pets are welcome without additional charge, which makes this place even better.
- Click here to find the best rates for a stay at Dolder Grand
The best hotel in the old town of Zurich is the Widder Hotel. This exquisite boutique hotel in the city center offers 49 rooms and suites, and the interior design is anything but standard.
- Since Widder Hotel is not very modern (the hotel building dates back to the 12th century), it is not everyone’s cup of tea. But every room is unique, and each traveler can feel like a unique guest, too.
- You can book your own personal coach to stay (get) fit and enjoy the fitness area, which is open 24-hours to guests.
- Due to the perfect location (right in the old town), you will have no shortage of good restaurants. The hotel itself also has some good dining options. In the summer months, you can end your day with a drink at the rooftop bar.
- Click here to find the best rates for your stay at Widder Hotel
Mid-Range Hotels in Zurich
Admittedly, the prices for mid-range hotels in Zurich are quite…high. While you can sleep in some luxury hotels in some parts of the world for the same price, mid-range means from around 150€ for a night in the heart of Zurich. It might be (slightly) cheaper if you visit during the shoulder season or outside the city center.
So here is the list of my top picks for the best mid-range hotels in Zurich.
Renaissance Zurich Tower Hotel
The Renaissance Zurich Tower Hotel is a 5-star hotel, but it is quite simple for a hotel in this category.
Prices do not differ much from 4-star hotels in Zurich, so I have added this hotel for people looking for something more affordable luxury.
- The hotel is located just a few kilometers away from the city center, making it easy to get around. You can reach the town center in less than 30 minutes by public transportation, making it a good place to stay, though it is not directly in the city’s center.
- There are even some free parking spots (which not always guaranteed in Zurich).
- Since it is a highrise building, the hotel tower offers nice views,.
- The restaurant downstairs has some good dishes for meat-eaters (as a vegetarian, my options were limited). There are not many restaurants nearby.
- The fitness room comes with a view and makes up for the lack of a pool.
- Click here to find the best accommodation rates for a stay.
Mövenpick Zurich Regensdorf
The lovely Mövenpick Regensdorf in Zurich is the perfect choice for foodies, as it has some nice restaurants with great food. Within a 15-minute drive, you are in the city center of Zurich or at the airport.
- The hotel is located in an extremely peaceful area – it feels like a little village. Still, it takes less than 30 minutes to get to the city center or the airport with public transportation.
- With 149 rooms – including some suites. This medium-sized, 4-star hotel does not look fancy from the outside but it is well equipped.
- You even have a big pool you can use and sports facilities.
- If you enjoy dining at the famous Mövenpick hotels, you will be happy to know that also this hotel has some great restaurants with good food.
- So there are not many reasons to leave this property often.
- Click here to find the best rates for your stay at Mövenpick Regensdorf
Budget Hotels in Zurich
Okay, there is not really a budget hotel in Zurich. Even a room at a hostel costs up to 80€ – a NIGHT. It might be cheaper if you visit in the shoulder season, but in the busy summer months or in December in Zurich, prices are quite high.
So, whenever you see a bargain, do not think twice and book it right away. You probably won´t find much cheaper accommodation.
The good thing about Zurich is that public transportation is amazing. You can stay outside of the city center without worrying about missing out.
Oldtown Hostel Otter
I am not a hostel person. But on one of my last trips to Zurich, I was not traveling with my dog. I took the chance to try out this hostel. And for a hostel, Oldtown Hostel Otter was a good choice.
- The Oldtown Hostel Otter hostel is located near Lake Zurich in the heart of the old town. Though it does not come with lake views, it just takes 2 minutes of walking to enjoy a stroll along the lake.
- The location is perfect for those who like to stay in the heart of Zurich, with lots of action going on! It is just a stone’s throw from Lake Zurich, and there are tons of bars, cafes, and restaurants close by, so it definitely does not get boring!
- To explore the city, walk or get one of the free rental bikes and see what Zurich has to offer.
- Prices for this hostel vary greatly. If you are lucky, you can get a room for less than 50€ during peak season – keep in mind, it is a hostel.
- There are private rooms and dorms available.
- Some of the rooms are decorated interestingly and individually. It definitely is not a common hostel and a good choice to stay in Zurich on a budget.
- Check out prices for a stay at Oldtown Hostel Otter
The 2-star hotel Hotel Limmathof is another budget accommodation located in the city center. It is only 300 meters from the main train station.
- Lake Zurich is around the corner, and so are many restaurants, museums, and the old town of Zurich.
- The rooms are very simple, but you always have your own bathroom and do not share it, unlike some other hotels and hostels.
- Do not expect anything unique or special, but if you are fine with simple accommodation that offers good value for the money, this might be a perfect choice.
- Find out rates for Hotel Limmathof by clicking here
So, hopefully, this post has helped you decide where to stay in Zurich, and you now have a good idea about the best places to stay (maybe you have even booked your stay). I wish you a great trip!
Curious to know what to do in Zurich? Here are the best places to visit in Zurich.
Find out about the best day trip ideas from Zurich.