WHAT TO DO IN DUBAI IN SUMMER + TIPS ON HOW TO SURVIVE
Dubai in summer gets hot – like really, really hot! While I would avoid traveling to Dubai between April and October, some people actually love summer and heat extreme heat.
So, if you are one of those or happen to be there during the period, you need to figure out what to do.
Many activities are not run in summer, and some restaurants are closed, but there are still some great things to do. Here are my top tips for activities in the summer for Dubai.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. This means I might earn a small commission when you buy a product (at no extra cost for you) after clicking on my link. More about it here.
TRAVEL TIPS FOR THE SUMMER IN DUBAI
Before mentioning the best things to do in the summer, here are some tips on what to pack for a summer vacation in Dubai and some more tips for your trip to Dubai in the summer:
Weather In Summer in Dubai
Dubai only has two seasons – summer and winter. So, basically, this means hot and warm to hottish.
- Summer starts in the beginning/mid of April and lasts until the end of October.
- April is hot, and May is even hotter, June gets crazy, July and August are unbearably hot.
- September gets a bit colder but is still hot, and October is the start of a better time – though it is still hot. As mentioned, it gets really hot during these months.
- In June, it can get 40°C (104°F) – with no wind and hardly any rain. In July and August, the average temperature is above 40 degrees Celcius.
- It does cool down after the sun sets, but you can expect around 30°C (86°F) during the night.
- The ocean is also quite warm – and many consider it too hot to swim.
- It starts getting cooler in September, but the temperature is still almost at 40 degrees Celcius.
- It gets better in October. However, some restaurants and places are still closed (like the Miracle Garden) as it is still hot (around 35 degrees Celcius).
More Tips for Surviving Dubai in the Summer Months
- While I am always up for a good walk and long strolls, the summer months are not great to walk a lot. Dubai´s streets do not offer loads of shadow, and walking is a terrible option to get around (and so is getting around by bike).
- Unfortunately, taxis are the best way to get around as they have AC, and you do not have to rub shoulders with many others as you have in the metro.
- However, the metros and the metro stations are quite cold and perfect to cool down if needed.
- Hotel prices drop in the summer – and you can find great bargains. If you want to experience the amazing hotels in Dubai – then summer is the time to visit (make sure the hotel has at least one pool).
- Drink water – a lot as being hydrated is one of the most important aspects to staying healthy in the summer months.
What to Pack for a Summer Vacation in Dubai
I recommend buying these things in advance – so you do not waste much time in Dubai buying them. Dubai is normally more expensive than the US or Germany.
- Sunscreen and more sunscreen
- Little umbrella – not to protect you from the rain, but from the sun
- Portable fan
- Wet Wipes
- Enough tops
Bright clothes, ideally covering your whole body (no, fewer clothes in summer do not mean less heat; pack airy and bright clothes).
Make sure to drink plenty of water (alcohol in summer is not the best idea) – so you stay healthy!
Where to Stay in the Summer
I highly recommend staying in a hotel with some indoor attractions and some pools – and a nice spa area.
- The 5-star luxury Atlantis – the Palm is perfect for a summer vacation in Dubai. Check out rates here.
- The Ritz-Carlton at JBR – The Walk has a great location. Click here to find out more.
THINGS TO DO IN DUBAI IN THE SUMMER
Okay, after reading all about the heat you might be wondering, “what to do in Dubai in the summer months then?” Here are the best summer activities.
Spend Time in Shopping Malls
While some might roll their eyes, the truth is that the shopping malls are like heaven on a scorching day. Spending time here is one of the best things you can do in Dubai in summer.
The malls are normally very well air-conditioned. So you can finally do all the mall sightseeing that you would not do in nicer weather (feeling that it would be a waste of time that would be better spent outdoors).
In the summer, there are also some good deals. So, you can kill two birds with a stone, so whether you are in Dubai in April, May, June, July, August, September, or October.
Some of the most popular places are the popular malls – e.g., Dubai Mall, or the Mall of the Emirates.
Go Ice Skating
Skating is a cold and perfect summer activity in Dubai for a hot summer day. Whether you ride the snow bullet (it is an indoor zip line that rushes you along the ice-skating hall, 16 meters in the air), take skating lessons, or meet the penguins, there are worse places to be in the summer.
Ice skating is not just for those living in cold countries, where lakes are frozen, and people can enjoy a day at the ice rink.
- You can find the ice skating rink inside Dubai Mall. Check out prices for Dubai Ice Rink here.
Hit the Beach And Do Water Sports
Whenever you can, head to the beach. Not get a tan and burn in the sun, but to cool down – well, kind of cooling down.
Not all water activities will be offered throughout the summer. After all, there are not many tourists and many locals escape the heat, too, and head to places like Switzerland but there are fly-boarding and jet-skiing activities.
While I mentioned before that I do not recommend spending a day at the beach in the summer, it is actually a good idea to rent one of the cabanas, which protects you from the sun (but not from the heat).
The beaches are quite empty, so you do not have to share them with too many others – make sure to have an umbrella and sunscreen with you.
And do not expect to be cooled down in the water. Consider your time in the water as a whirlpool experience – just without the whirl. It gets up to 35°C (95°F) just in the water, so it is more like a steam bath.
The beach is probably not the best place to visit in late June, July, and August, though (unless you really like heat!).
Relax at the Pool
The good thing about summer in Dubai is… the prices for accommodations drop. As you might be aware, Dubai´s hotel prices are extremely high. Seriously, this is not fun. But summertime means fewer people and way cheaper rates.
So, you can book a place with a great pool (or better yet, with many great pools) and spend your days by the water.
Ask the service people to bring all available umbrellas to your lounge, so you are protected from the sun, and then enjoy a day at the pool. Here is my full Dubai accommodation guide with the best areas to stay in Dubai.
Do a Speedboat Tour
While I could spend hours on a boat each day, the truth is that the breeze of a normal boat will probably not be enough when you are in Dubai in July or August. I actually think it is one of the best things to do in Dubai at any time of the year.
For the coolest boat tour experience with a lot of fresh breezes, I recommend a speedboat tour. You won’t feel the heat too much, and you also get to do some sightseeing – so it is actually 2 for 1!
- What else could you ask for? Well, you probably want to find out more about the tour and the prices. Click here to find out more.
Visit a Water Park
Dubai has some pretty good water parks – namely Aquaventure at Atlantis – The Palm Hotel, and Wild Wadi Water Park, which belongs to the Jumeirah Group and is located just in front of Burj al Arab.
Both are fun and great places to visit – in summer and winter. The water is chilled so that you will get some refreshing time in the water. There are many slides and different pools so that you will enjoy it even as an adult.
There are cabanas or sunbeds with umbrellas – make sure to bring your suncream and everything your need as items are sold at high prices at the shops there.
- Find out about prices for Aquaventure Atlantis.
Have a Drink at the Ice Lounge
Ice bars are popping up in many parts of the world, and Dubai has gotten its first chill-out ice lounge (actually, it is the only one in the Middle East), named Time Out.
If you are looking for a really, really cool place, then have a drink in this interesting bar. If you do not have thermal clothes with you, don’t worry. You will be provided with some, so you can still enjoy the negative temperatures.
Dubai has some of the most amazing hotels in the world. If you seized the chance and booked a luxury hotel for a fraction of what you would have had to pay during the high season, you can experience it firsthand.
However, if you do not book a luxury hotel, you can do hotel sightseeing. The hotels are very well air-conditioned, so there is no sweating – apart from the trip from the taxi to the hotel.
Most of the hotels can be checked out even if you do not stay there – the exception is Burj al Arab, where you need a written reservation confirmation for one of their restaurants or the spa area.
I often go to one of the restaurants for lunch/dinner if I do not stay there overnight, but I like to check out new hotels.
While I use the chance to do some work in the restaurants (blogger stuff), you can stroll along – the top-notch hotels in Dubai are awe-inspiring.
One of the best summer activities in Dubai is actually a winter activity.
As mentioned before, you can ice skate, but did you know you can also ski in Dubai? The ski hall is located inside a mall. If it is too hot outside, head to the Mall of Emirates and get a day ticket to spend a day at the air-conditioned ski hall.
You can take skiing lessons, roll down the Giant Ball run, slide down with tube slides – and there is even more to do. There is even a chairlift – so it feels a bit like skiing outdoors.
While I would not do it myself in the winter months in Dubai, this is a nice place to spend time in the summer months in Dubai.
CONCLUSION: BEST DUBAI SUMMER ACTIVITIES
I am not a fan of the heat that comes with visiting Dubai in the summer months. However, for whatever reasons you visit during that time, hopefully, this post has helped you plan your summer trip.
And you now know about the best things to do in Dubai in summer and how to survive it.
- Check out my Dubai itinerary to find out more about how to organize your trip.
- Wondering about things NOT to do in Dubai? Click here to find out more.